Dislocation of a hip prosthesis is a common complication
Sample Name: Hemiarthroplasty - Austin-Moore Bipolar ..
A 65-year-old female had cemented bipolar hemi hip replacement after fixation failure of a dynamic hip screw. She had left lower limb weakness for ten years after previous spinal surgery. At the sixth week of postoperation, the patient had dissociation of the components of the bipolar hemiarthroplasty at the femoral head and neck junction. The patient had open reduction and femoral head revision. There was no re-dislocation at one-year follow-up.
Austin-Moore bipolar hemiarthroplasty, left hip ..
1. Sierra R J, Cabanela M E. Conversion of failed hip hemi- arthroplasties after femoral neck fractures. Clin Orthop 2002;399:129-39.
2. Haidukewych G J, Israel T A, Berry D J. Long-term survivorship of cemented bipolar hemiarthroplasty for fracture of the femoral neck. Clin Orthop 2002;(403:118-26.
3. Eiskjaer S, Ostgard S E. Survivorship analysis of hemiarthroplasties. Clin Orthop 1993;(286:206-11.
4. Pankaj A, Malhotra R, Bhan S. Conversion of failed hemiarthroplasty to total hip arthroplasty: a short to mid-term follow-up study. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(3):294-300.
5. Diwanji SR, Kim SK, Seon JK, Park SJ, et al. Clinical results of conversion total hip arthroplasty after failed bipolar hemiarthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2008;23(7):1009-15.
6. Dalldorf P G, Banas M P, Hicks D G, Pellegrini V D, Jr. Rate of degeneration of human acetabular cartilage after hemiarthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1995;77 (6): 877-82.
7. Garvin KL, Hanssen AD. Infection after total hip arthroplasty. Past, present, and future. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77(10):1576-88. Review.
8. Ibrahim MS, Raja S, Khan MA, Haddad FS. A multidisciplinary team approach to two-stage revision for the infected hip replacement: a minimum five-year follow-up study. Bone Joint J. 2014;96-B(10):1312-8.
9. Cameron HU, Hood-Szivek P, Turner R. Femoral head migration after single assembly total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1982;(164):230-3.
10. Stiehl JB. Acetabular prosthetic protrusion and sepsis: case report and review of the literature. J Arthroplasty 2007;22(2):283-8. Review.
11. Stiehl JB, Harlow M, Hackbarth D. Extensile triradiate approach for complex acetabular reconstruction in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1993;294:162-9.
12. Sotelo-Garza A, Charnley J: The results of Charnley arthroplasty of the hip performed for protrusio acetabuli. Clin Orthop 1978;132:12-18.
13. Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Swiontkowski MF, Tornetta P 3rd, et al. Internal fixation compared with arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85-A(9):1673-81.
14. Mazen S, Julien G, Riad F. Retrospective evaluation of bipolar hip arthroplasty in fractures of the proximal femur. N Am J Med Sci. 2010;2(9):409-15.
15. Overgaard S, Jensen TT, Bonde G, Mossing NB. The uncemented bipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures. 6-year follow-up of 171 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1991;62(2):115-20.
16. Giacchetto J, Gallagher JJ. False aneurysm of the common femoral artery secondary to migration of a threaded acetabular component. A case report and review of the literature. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;231:91-6.
17. Della Valle C, Parvizi J, Bauer TW; American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, et al: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on: The diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infections of the hip and knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93(14):1355-1357.
18. Parvizi J, Zmistowski B, Berbari EF, et al: New definition for periprosthetic joint infection: From the Workgroup of the Musculoskeletal Infection Society. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011;469(11):2992-2994.
19. Kuzyk PR, Dhotar HS, Sternheim A, Gross AE, et al. Two-stage revision arthroplasty for management of chronic periprosthetic hip and knee infection: techniques, controversies, and outcomes. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014:22(3):153-64.
20. Callaghan JJ, Katz RP, Johnston RC: One-stage revision surgery of the infected hip: A minimum 10-year followup study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1999;369:139-143.
21. Shukla SK, Ward JP, Jacofsky MC, Sporer SM, et al. Perioperative testing for persistent sepsis following resection arthroplasty of the hip for periprosthetic infection. J Arthroplasty 2010;25(6):87-91.
22. Schinsky MF, Della Valle CJ, Sporer SM, Paprosky WG. Perioperative testing for joint infection in patients undergoing revision total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90(9):1869-1875.
23. Tigges S, Stiles RG, Roberson JR. Appearance of septic hip prostheses on plain radiographs. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994;163(2):377-80.