At least I think it’s an island.
These are not the only second generation members in the School’s history. Another Corinthian, Edward Capps, Jr. who worked on the sculpture of Corinth, especially that of the theater, but died before its completion, a member of the Managing Committee from 1933 until his death in 1970, Annual Professor 1937-38 and 1948-49, was the son of Edward Capps, Chairman of the Managing Committee from 1918 to 1939, member of the Committee from 1908 till death in 1950, one of the early students of the School 1893-94. Another early student in 1902-03 and Fellow 1903-04, Lacey Davis Caskey, member of the Managing Committee from 1920 to 1940, gave the School a son as Director, John Langdon Caskey, Director 1949–1959, member of the Managing Committee 1949 till death in 1981, its Vice-Chairman 1965–1975. There have been other members who were children of earlier members, notably Charles Alexander Robinson, Jr., son of Charles Alexander Robinson 1897-98, who was student 1923–1925, Secretary of the Managing Committee 1945–1965, Annual Professor 1935-36, spring 1948, spring 1962, Director of the Summer Session 1959 and Chairman of the Committee on the Gennadius Library 1948–1964, but those noted here serve to illustrate effectively the kind of interest and devotion the School has generated in its members which is often carried on by later generations. Since Corinth has been a major part of the School since 1896, it is natural that most of these families have been touched by Corinth. It is hardly accidental that Theodora Stillwell (who later married fellow student Pierre MacKay), taken to Corinth as a child by her parents, should have returned to the School as a student 1959–1961, excavated at Corinth, and published some of the Byzantine pottery and later studied Frankish pottery. Her father, Richard Stillwell, was Fellow in Architecture 1924–1926 and Assistant Professor of Architecture 1928–1931 working at Corinth, Assistant Director of the School 1931-32, Director of the School and Supervising Architect of the Athenian Agora Excavations 1932–1935, member of the Managing Committee 1931–1936, 1945 till death in 1982, Annual Professor 1948 and 1960, Acting Director 1974 and author of several volumes; her mother, Agnes Newhall Stillwell, Fellow of the School 1927–1932, was the excavator and publisher of the Potter’s Quarter of Corinth. Of Athenian rather than Corinthian connections is Eugene Vanderpool, Jr. who became photographer of the Agora Excavations in 1967 and served till 1976; his mother Joan Vanderpool had been the first photographer, in the 1930’s, of those excavations of which his father, Eugene Vanderpool, a student of the School in 1929-30, had been a staff member from 1932 and Deputy Field Director from 1949 as well as the distinguished Professor of Archaeology from 1949 to 1971, member of the Managing Committee 1971 to date. Ione Mylonas Shear (Mrs. T. Leslie Shear, Jr.), a student of the School 1959-60, who was a member of the excavation staff of the Athenian Agora in 1967–1975 and 1979 to date, is the daughter of George E. Mylonas, Bursar of the School 1925–1928, member of the Managing Committee 1937–1939, 1946 to the present, and Annual Professor 1951-52 and 1963-64.
Behind this was the darkness of t...
PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Joining March 2018
The Managing Committee also dealt with more than the usual matters of personnel. Professor Caskey’s appointment as Director of the School was made definitely for five years beginning July 1, 1949; this would be renewed for another 5 years. The problem of Professor Weber’s appointment as Librarian of the Gennadeion had become a thorny one because of a commitment made in 1937 “for life.” At that time School appointments were usually made with indefinite term, but since meanwhile the Managing Committee had voted to make all appointments by fixed term, some adjustment was necessary. The Managing Committee had also fixed 65 as normal retirement age. After no little consideration of the matter it was voted on May 13, 1950 that Professor Weber was to retire and would be retired on July 1, 1953 at the age of 70. At the same time a new appointment was made in the United States. When the School took on the full responsibilities of its publications it became necessary that the officer in charge of the Publications Office hold a full-time staff position. Lucy T. Shoe was appointed to take office on July 1, 1950 both as Chairman of the Publications Committee and as Editor of Publications, an office which was to rank as staff member of the School. Miss Shoe would continue in that double appointment till October 1, 1972. Most significant of the new appointments was that of Charles H. Morgan as Chairman of the Managing Committee for five years; this appointment would in due time be extended to a further five years to make a decade of one of the most distinguished and effective chairmanships in the School’s history.
Please refer to the following sections for information about the:
Mr. Lord, who throughout his chairmanship had been actively working to add to numerous existing named endowment funds, succeeded in starting up several others, all welcome but totaling a relatively small amount in relation to the School’s needs. He was assigned by the Trustees for the following year the very difficult yet essential task of soliciting potential large donors and foundations. A grant for the current 1950-51 expenses of the School from the Bollingen Foundation to assist while the campaign for endowment was under way was the first of numerous contributions to be made by the Bollingen in subsequent years for specific needs.